- Point72 leads $25mm Series A for database startup, FaunaDB. (PRnewswire)
- Coatue invested in data science infrastructure company, Domino Data Lab, earlier this year. (WSJ, login required)
- AppAnnie, app usage data provider, expands Chinese consumer analytics offering. (Reuters)
- YipitData has combined web data with new email receipt data for GRUB, enabling KPI accuracy and insights not possible with either dataset alone.
- YipitData launched Best Inc. (BSTI) dataset, which IPO’d last Wednesday.
- 1010data launched a Suburban Shopper Panel (SSP), data into consumer behavior and demographics of rural and suburban shoppers. (Business Wire)
- Prattle, a public sentiment analysis provider, launched an analytics platform of corporate earnings calls. (Prattle Blog)
- QuadAnalytix and Mobee merged into Wiser Solutions to provide consumer/retail data from online and offline sources. (Business Wire)
- VisibleAlpha, an analytics platform, partnered with Thompson Reuters.(Reuters)
- M Science’s 3rd party email receipt panel is 3.5mm and it now has access to an EU credit card panel. (from Learn2Quant Hong Kong)
- Sandalwood employs 3 main sources of data: UnionPay credit card panel, a partnership with JD.com, and web scraping for Tmall brand data. (from Learn2Quant Hong Kong)
- Prosper – consumer survey data on 296 tickers (US) and 126 tickers (China), distributed through Consumer Edge Research.
- Granular.ai – satellite data on industrial sectors and emerging economies.
- Selbourne Research – data on payments ecosystem.
- Geotab – fleet GPS tracking and fleet management data.
- Predata – analytics platform based on market/risk signals and event predictions.
- Statistical Surveys – data on recreational vehicles.
- IndexMath – index for predicting UK stock market trends.
- Director of Data Science – Data Scientist – $100bn+ Fund (New York)
- Equity Research Associate – Investment Research – Capital Group (Los Angeles)
- Alternative & Financial Data Developer – Data Engineer – WorldQuant (Greenwich)
- Research Analyst – Data Scout – Neudata (London)
- Senior Data Researcher – Data Analyst – Alternative Data Group (New York)
- Lead Data Analyst – Data Analyst – Factual (Los Angeles)
- See 41 other openings for Investment Research, Data Analyst, Data Engineer, and Data Scientist
NEWS & INSIGHTS
- 74% of hedge funds plan to increase spending on alternative data, based on a survey of 50 hedge funds by Greenwich Associates and Arcadia Data. (full report for purchase at Greenwich Associates) Other report highlights:
- Market size for alternative data estimated between $183 – $200mm, and projected to double in 4 years. (Value Walk, Quartz)
- Use of alternative data could lead to a revenue uplift of 15% for asset managers, while additionally cutting costs by another 15%, according to Quinlan and Associates. (The Street)
- Sentieo, a financial data platform, developed a short thesis on Darden (DRI) based on sub-brand level restaurant unit counts and implied growth rates.(Futures Magazine)
- State Street launches Quantextual Idea Lab, a quant-based research management platform. (FINalternatives)
- Private equity and corporates see opportunity in satellite, GPS, IoT, and economic alternative data. (International Business Times)
- Quantamental Investing: A Look Under the Hood by the Professional Risk Managers’ International Association (New York, Sep. 27)
- Benzinga Fintech Summit (San Francisco, Sep. 28)
- HFM Webinar: Balancing Risk, Compliance, and Performance in Data Analytics(Oct. 4, free for HFM members or trial users)
- Hedge Fund General Counsel and Compliance Officer Summit (New York, Oct. 4-5)
- Learn2Quant – London (London, Oct. 11)