Last updated: April-4-2018
This page contains relevant facts and figures related to the alternative data industry for institutional investors. Unless otherwise noted, these figures are per internal alternativedata.org estimates or based on our database of providers.
Looking for a figure not on this page? Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternative Data Providers: 277
Median experience: 5 years
Median employees: 33
Alternative Data industry projected to be worth $350mm in 2020
- Market size for alternative data estimated between $183 – $200mm in 2016, and projected to double in 4 years. (Value Walk – subscription required, Quartz)
Percentage of funds that use or expect to use alternative data: 78%, per EY Global HF and Investor Survey (up from 52% in 2016)
Percentage of firms with a Dedicated Data Lead: 42%, per Jefferies Prime Services
Percentage of all data in circulation created in last two years: 90%, per IBM
Percentage of buy-side employees that will require fundamental retraining to improve data and analytics capabilities: 40%, per Morgan Stanley and Oliver Wyman
Data source with greatest number of providers: Social / Sentiment Data
Highest grossing data source: Credit / Debit Card Data
Five most popular data types: Social / Sentiment Data, Private Company Data, Credit Card Data, Supply chain data, and Web data, per EY Global HF and Investor Survey
Alternative Data Provider Landscape
Buy-side Full Time Alternative Data Employees
- The number of alternative data FTEs has grown ~450% in last 5 years.
- Most alternative data FTEs have 11+ years experience and do not have graduate degrees.
- Tech, Academia, and Data Providers are quickly becoming main channels for sourcing alternative data FTEs.
- Cost of an alternative data team starts at $1.5 – $2.5m.