The Download 09: 21 New Datasets, Moody’s Invests In Property Data Startup
DATA PROVIDER DATABASE (191) Added: EEDAR – data and analytics on over 127K video game products. WDZJ.com – daily data on various Chinese P2P companies, including Yirendai (YRD), PPDF, Rapid Finance. Re-analytics – web data...
DATA PROVIDER DATABASE (191)Added:
- EEDAR - data and analytics on over 127K video game products.
- WDZJ.com - daily data on various Chinese P2P companies, including Yirendai (YRD), PPDF, Rapid Finance.
- Re-analytics - web data analytics on fashion, retail, consumer, and travel companies.
- Pitchbook - database of private company and VC information.
- Innovata - airline flight and cargo schedule information.
- Above Data - data consulting/sourcing services started by ex-JPM AM analyst.
- Satellite data providers and services:
- Other data sources and providers:
- J Capital Research - uses survey data for research and investment ideas on commodities, equities, and property; primarily China-focused.
- Kinetica - GPU-accelerated (really fast) analytics database.
- B23 - data ingestion and visualization platform.
- Dawex - open alternative data marketplace for companies looking to monetize their data.
- OTAS - visualizes social media data to provide stock sentiment.
- RunningAlpha - generates trade ideas from financial sentiment data.
- Eurekahedge - database focused on indices and news on hedge funds.
- Moody’s acquires minority stake in CompStak, a firm that collects granular information on property listings from brokers and developers. Some of thedatapoints they collect (e.g. landlord concessions) are not publically available elsewhere. (WSJ, subscription required)
- YipitData launches a price/load factor curve tool using bookings-weighted data on United (UAL) to help gauge the health of the pricing environment.(YipitData)
- Wolfe Research partners with RS Metrics, a satellite data provider, to incorporate satellite data into fundamental research. (prweb)
- Credit Suisse partners with Ravenpack, a sentiment data provider, to create a sentiment index from news analyses. (Credit Suisse)
- Wall Street Horizon, an event data provider, launches EventBreaks, an alert system that lets you know when and how corporate events change.(Businesswire)
RFD (REQUEST FOR DATA) New!Multibillion-dollar L/S funds are looking for the following. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any of these datasets:
- Datasets on digital advertising, particularly ad inventories and CPCs.
- Long-Short Equities Data Analyst - DE Shaw (New York)
- Quant Researcher (3) - $2bn Hedge Fund (New York)
- See 43 other openings for Investment Research, Data Analyst, Data Engineer, and Data Scientist
NEWS & INSIGHTS
- Two academics publish their process for using sentiment data to predict iPhone X success. (insideBIGDATA)
- An analysis by Sentieo, a news analytics platform, shows NFLX management less bullish than street. (Sentieo)
- YipitData’s web data accurately predicted out-of-consensus room-night growth for EXPE. Also identified drivers of pressure, noting weak trends in the U.S. hotels business, as well as the monetization efforts at HomeAway. (YipitData)
- Two articles discuss why the alternative data skillset is getting more valuable.
- “There are all these big data sets that could be useful to inform the investment decisions that stock pickers are making. But they don’t currently exist in a form that is useful for investment managers.” - Mark Ainsworth, head of data insights at Schroders. (Financial Times)
- “What will happen is that as data becomes more and more commoditised, the value is going to be on the intellectual capital to turn the data into information for a specific problem. Just because you have got data doesn’t mean you can really perceive how to use the data to solve problems that you have.” - Ken Nickerson, MD at Morgan Stanley. (HFM Technology)
- Dataminr, a social sentiment data provider, predicted the acquisition of Kite Pharma 5 days before it was announced. (Financial Times)
- Maverick set to debut two new funds focused on short-term alpha signals from alternative datasets. (Business Insider)
- Fairtree Capital also launching quantamental fund. (Finalternatives)
- Good intro to satellite data applications. Geospatial Insights used high-res aerial photography to assess the impact of hurricanes in Houston and Key West. (The Edge Markets)
- Putting Alternative Data to Use (Webinar, Nov. 8)
- Credit Suisse Tech Conference - YipitData presenting observations and insights covering Online Delivery and MELI (Phoenix, Nov. 27-30)
- The BIG Alternative Data Showcase Event (New York, Dec. 5)
- Newsweek’s Artificial Intelligence & Data Science in Capital Markets (New York, Dec. 6-7)