DATA PROVIDER DATABASE
Jiguang – App usage provider on over 800mm Chinese Android devices.
IPqwery – Collects patent and IP ownership data from multiple public records offices.
Broughton Capital – Has seven transportation data sets across trucking, rail, and airfreight.
FNGO – Provides Korean export data through partnership with Korea Customs Service. High correlation with product revenue for Samsung, Hyundai, and many more.
ThinkTopic – Analytics tools for satellite imagery.
- TruValue Labs – Provides ESG metrics as an indicator of company performance. Recently benchmarked its ESG scores on a group of equities, outperforming the S&P 500 by 3-5% over the past five years. (prsnewwire)
- 7Park Data, a data aggregator, begins publishing number of downloads, subscriptions, and purchases across thousands of mobile apps on Android and iOS. (globenewswire)
- YipitData publishes report on category overlap between Mercadolibre Inc. (MELI) and Amazon (AMZN), highlighting the potential impact of AMZN expansion into Brazil. (YipitData)
- See full public database of 213 data providers.
- Investment Data Analyst – Alternative Data – Investment Manager (New York)
- Machine Learning – Data Scientist – Point72 (New York)
- See 64 other openings for Investment Research, Data Analyst, Data Engineer, and Data Scientist
NEWS & INSIGHTS
- Growth in alternative data sources combined with MiFID II consolidation (and the resulting increase in sell-side research competition) likely to create more research products using alternative data in 2018.
- “The history of Wall Street has been about copying and emulation … Having 35 analysts cover the same stock in the same way is just not going to cut it anymore.” – Barry Hurewitz, Global COO UBS Research. (Integrity Research, subscription required)
- “The use of alternative data to make investment decisions will only intensify in the coming year.” – Bjørn Sibbern, NASDAQ. (Markets Media)
- Deloitte published a white paper evaluating risk/reward in alternative data implementation. (Deloitte)
- CTOs and CIOs among most in-demand roles for asset managers. “Larger houses on the buy side … are looking to hire a CTO or CIO or VP of IT with cloud and data analytics experience and leadership skills, being able to bring strategies to the table and communicate to business leaders effectively.” – Emmeline Kuhn, Leathwaite. (efinancialcareers
- Google Maps far superior to Apple Maps because of its combined use of satellite and street-view imagery. (justinobeirne.com, long read)
SPECIAL EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT
Miami Beach, FL | January 30-31, 2018
BattleFin’s Discovery Day is a 2-day pre-arranged one-on-one meeting event that connects investment firms looking to integrate alternative data into their investment process. BattleFin is targeting 100 alternative data companies in the satellite imagery, geolocation, sentiment, web scraping, social and other categories. The event will also cover sourcing, technology and compliance topics. More on the agenda here and event logistics here.
ALL UPCOMING EVENTS
- Quandl Alternative Data Conference – Subscribers receive 20% off using code: ALTDATAORG20 (New York, Jan. 18)
- Mitigating the Risks of Using Alternative Data – Integrity Research, ADG, and YipitData (Webinar, Jan. 25)
- BattleFin Discovery Day – Subscribers receive 20% off using code: AltData20 (Miami, Jan. 30-31)
SUBSCRIBE TO GET THE LATEST ALTERNATIVE DATASETS, JOBS, NEWS, and EVENTS: