The Download 20: Goldman Gears Up to Sell Alt. Data Product, Alt. Data Spend Accelerates, 4 New Datasets
Providers Added to the Database Tussell – Data on UK government contract procurement for 70k private and 171 public companies, including Capita PLC, Zurich, and BAE Systems. MIDiA Research – Data on music...
- Tussell - Data on UK government contract procurement for 70k private and 171 public companies, including Capita PLC, Zurich, and BAE Systems.
- MIDiA Research - Data on music streaming services, online video, gaming, and media technology. Coverage of AMZN, Apple Music, and more.
- Upswell - Alternative data consultancy.
- See full public database of 293 data providers.
- Avast, the parent company of Jumpshot, a web traffic provider, estimates the addressable market for its Jumpshot business at $2.8b by 2021 (Prospectus, p. 57). Avast IPO'd this week. (Reuters)
- YipitData launched web-scraping based product to track key performance metrics for China Lodging Group (HTHT), including occupancy rates, ADR, and RevPAR. (Request Info)
- 7Park Data raised 7mm in new funding. (SEC)
- iSentium, a sentiment provider, hired Ray Tierney III (former head of trading at Morgan Stanley and Bloomberg Tradebook) as president and COO. (efinancialcareers)
- Consulting project involving stock movement backtesting. Involves exploring hypothetical trading strategies based on unique alternative dataset. Contact email@example.com for more detail.
- See 62 other openings for Investment Research, Data Analyst, Data Engineer, and Data Scientist
- Discovery Day Intrepid - BattleFin (New York, June 20) -AlternativeData.org is a media partner for the event - use discount code "AltData20" to receive 20% off your ticket.
News & Insights
- Buy-side spend on alternative datasets has significantly accelerated over the last two years (~60% y/y) and is estimated to reach over $1bn by 2020. (Financial Times, AlternativeData.org)
- Goldman Sachs gearing up to sell internal data. Potential product could include trade and pricing data at high frequencies, leveraging role as over-the-counter dealmaker. (Risk.net, subscription required)
- Market for geo-location data grows with increasingly inventive use cases, but technical challenges remain.
- Market for geo-location data expected to grow to $250mm by 2020, according to new report from Opimas, a capital markets consultancy. (marketsmedia, Full Report)
- Schroders data science unit used geo-location data to assess a pizza-chain expansion plan based on casual dining competition and foot traffic. (Pensions & Investments)
- Still, the data requires expert validation before it can be put to use. “In one case, there was data that showed peak visitors in a Home Depot in California ... (came) at 8 a.m. The store opened at 10 a.m. But that store has a loading dock that abuts a freeway.” - Michael Recce, Chief Data Scientist, Neuberger Berman. (Pensions & Investments)
- Washington Post op-ed theorizes on a potential regulation for companies to release their data to the public after a few years, in a model similar to drug patents. (Washington Post)