The Download 23: Dataminr Raises $221mm, 12 New Datasets
Providers Added to the Database Fashionbi – Web data covering digital presence, social media performance, and financial data across 3500+ fashion and luxury brands. LikeFolio – Consumer sentiment data via partnership with...
- Fashionbi - Web data covering digital presence, social media performance, and financial data across 3500+ fashion and luxury brands.
- LikeFolio - Consumer sentiment data via partnership with Twitter.
- MASSIVE Data Heights - Web data on consumer reviews. Covers electronics & cosmetics.
- Panvista Analytics - Trade show and conference monitoring data using nametag beacons.
- Amareos - Sentiment provider and visualization platform.
- CropProphet - Weather-focused US Grains yield and production forecast system.
- ICEYE - Satellite data provider using weather-agnostic imaging technology. Raised $34mm in Series B financing. (prnewswire)
- TYR Data - Alternative data consultant covering sentiment, social media, facial recognition, and booking data.
- BMLL Technology - Research platform for combining alternative datasets with order book data.
- Kyber Data Science - Alternative data team within Cowen. (trademarkia, ziprecruiter)
- Real Factors - Platform for commercial real estate investors to integrate alternative data sources. (alleywatch)
- Realyse - Data on price per square foot, supply, and demographics on UK real estate.
- See full public database of 315 data providers.
- M Science acquired TickerTags, a sentiment data provider. (Integrity Research, subscription required)
- Dataminr, a sentiment provider, raised $221mm in new funding. (Axios)
- Battlefin partnered with Jefferies to expand Discovery Day event series. (businesswire, Key Takeaways from Discovery Day Miami)
- YipitData added CARG (CarGurus) UK to its AUTO.L (Autotrader) data product to analyze dealer overlap across the two platforms and CARG’s progress in growing its UK dealer & inventory base. (Request Info)
- Research professional with global experience in fundamental analysis and alternative data is interested in joining buy-side firm to build data team. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Data Scientist - Fundamental L/S Hedge Fund (New York)
- Alternative Data Sourcing Analyst - Investment Firm (New York)
- Product Manager - Vigilant [Public Data Provider] (New York)
- See 62 other openings for Investment Research, Data Analyst, Data Engineer, and Data Scientist
- Doing More with Data: Innovations in Quantitative Investing – FactSet (New York, June 7, 4pm - 7pm)
- Learn2Quant - Estimize & Jefferies (Boston, June 14)
- Discovery Day Intrepid - BattleFin & Jefferies (New York, June 20)
- See full calendar of upcoming events.
News & Insights
- Investment banks are ramping up hiring for data skillset.
- According to efinancialcareers, BNP Parbias, Deustche Bank, Morgan Stanley, and UBS are leading the pack, while Barclays, Credit Suisse, and Goldman Sachs are playing catch-up. (efinancialcareers)
- Cowen appears to be building out a data science team of its own, based on trademark and job posting. (trademarkia, ziprecruiter)
- Where quantamental shines: quant tools are most useful for fundamental analysts to strategically augment the emotional side of investing and get out ahead of fundamental reporting.
- “They have to find a mathematical model for the ‘gut feeling.’” - Jon Neitzell, Chief Data Officer of Fundamental Equities at Goldman Sachs. (Bloomberg)
- "Fundamental acceleration [is a] novel machine learning technique to estimate future fundamentals." - Ronnie Shah, US Head of Quantitative Strategy at Deustche Bank. (4-traders, tip: Quandl)
- Data Disrupt brought together industry leaders to discuss alternative data. (Notes)
- Data from Factual, a geo-location provider, provides insight into Whole Foods customers based on demographics and path to purchase. (Forbes)
- Realyse, a real estate data provider, shows correlation between price per square foot data and real estate stock performance. (Realyse, tip: Quandl)