The Download 43: 1 New Web-Scraping Platform, 6 New Data Providers, Challenges of Working with Alt. Data
ADDED TO THE DATABASE All-in-one platform to run web scrapers. Handles proxies, server/data management, user agents, monitoring, dashboards, alerts, etc.: ReadyPipe (Request access) Data on corporate hierarchy, revenue, headcount, web presence, and technologies used...
ADDED TO THE DATABASE
- All-in-one platform to run web scrapers. Handles proxies, server/data management, user agents, monitoring, dashboards, alerts, etc.: ReadyPipe (Request access)
- Data on corporate hierarchy, revenue, headcount, web presence, and technologies used for 45mm companies globally: Orb Intelligence
- Data on active patents, covering 90+ countries, aggregated from 70+ sources: IFI Claims Patent Services
- Data on streaming services subscribers and viewership by title, sourced via on-demand service providers and consumer surveys: Ampere Analysis (Netflix figures recently cited in Recode)
- Network of 1mm residential IPs to help companies scrape websites; also data on search engine keyword frequency: Xverum
- Public and sentiment data from financial disclosures of 280 Japanese companies: Xebral
- Sentiment data on financial markets obtained via partnership with Twitter and StockTwits: PsychSignal
- Consultant advising: 1) companies on how to monetize data products and 2) investors on how to acquire unique data, build data teams, and leverage internal data: Alternative Data Analytics
- See public database of 408 data providers and tools/services.
- Discovery Day Miami - BattleFin (January 29 - Miami)
- Quandl Data Conference - Quandl (February 28 - New York)
- AI, Machine Learning, & Sentiment Analysis - UNICOM (March 14 - Mumbai)
- AI, Machine Learning, & Sentiment Analysis - UNICOM (March 20 - Hong Kong)
See full calendar of upcoming events.
REQUESTS FOR DATA
- Data on Amazon:
- Marketplace GMV, units sold, number of Prime accounts, average order frequency (Prime / non-Prime)
- Sponsored listings
- AWS spend, number of accounts (enterprise / non-enterprise), usage
- Data Scientist - Healthcare Investment Team - Point72 (New York)
- Data Intelligence - Data Product Manager - Goldman Sachs (New York)
See other openings for Investment Research, Data Analyst, Data Engineer, and Data Scientist.
NEWS & INSIGHTS
- Panelists at Tabb Group’s FinTech conference discuss various challenges of working with alternative data, including accessing primary data sources, avoiding open-ended data exploration without a hypothesis, and backtesting effectively. (finextra)
- Evan Schnidman, CEO of sentiment provider Prattle, discusses the challenges in building a data processing system and asserts that some asset managers have devoted resources to evaluating alternative data before having the necessary infrastructure in place to do so effectively. (Integrity Research)
- Institutional Investor profiles Ryan Caldbeck, CEO of consumer goods investment firm CircleUp, and his vision of systematic investing in the private markets. (Institutional Investor)
- Head of Research at UBS now also heads up Data Analytics and Evidence Lab and reports directly to the CEO as the bank explores how these units can drive value throughout the firm. (Risk)