The Download 44: 3 New Providers, 3 Dataset Updates, Alt. Data Firms Raised $460mm in 2018
ADDED TO THE DATABASE Social media sentiment data that provides demographic segmentation specific to each use case: EntSight Data aggregator using institutional investor surveys and public data to assess market positioning: CrowdThnk Due diligence...
ADDED TO THE DATABASE
- Social media sentiment data that provides demographic segmentation specific to each use case: EntSight
- Data aggregator using institutional investor surveys and public data to assess market positioning: CrowdThnk
- Due diligence firm that leverages data from social networks: Lyra Insight
- See public database of 411 data providers and tools/services.
- 1010data added geo-location dataset to supplement its transaction data. (businesswire)
- SafeGraph launched IP-to-Place, a dataset mapping WiFi IP address ranges to 1.5mm commercial points of interest in the US. (SafeGraph)
- Comlinkdata launched dataset tracking US subscriber switching and flow share between Internet Service Providers.
- Applying Sentiment Insights to the Investment Process - Bloomberg (January 23 - Webinar)
- Discovery Day Miami - BattleFin (January 29 - Miami)
- Quandl Data Conference - Quandl (February 28 - New York)
- AI, Machine Learning, & Sentiment Analysis - UNICOM (March 14 - Mumbai)
- AI, Machine Learning, & Sentiment Analysis - UNICOM (March 20 - Hong Kong)
See full calendar of upcoming events.
- Data Scientist - Point72 (New York)
- Data Scientist Manager - JPMorgan (New York)
- Senior Data Analyst - Rakuten Intelligence (New York)
See other openings for Investment Research, Data Analyst, Data Engineer, and Data Scientist.
NEWS & INSIGHTS
- Integrity Research reviews the recent M&A activity surrounding alternative data and reports that alternative data firms raised $460 million in funding during 2018. (Integrity Research, subscription required)
- JPMorgan economists review how alternative data can be used to look at macro trends. The Bloomberg article notes that the Fed Reserve is using First Data and the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis is using Google Trends to improve consumption estimates. (Bloomberg)
- Satellite data providers, including Gro Intelligence and Descartes Labs, report spike in interest from commodity traders as Department of Agriculture doesn't publish farm reports during the government shutdown. (Reuters)
- Greenwich Associates looks at Amazon using web-scraped data on BestBuy.com's top 1000 products and Amazon job listings related to "Alexa." According to their recent alternative data customer journey study, web-scraped data was the most popular data set. (Greenwich Associates)
- "Data by itself is a cost, not a benefit." - Goldman Sachs' Global Head of Machine Learning, stressing the importance of having a data-savvy organization. (Yale)