The Download 47: 2 New Datasets, 1 New Tool, Request for BABA Data
ADDED TO THE DATABASE Infrastructure tool to help data vendors efficiently deliver data to clients: DataBolt Sentiment data on social media in any language, dating back to 2006 for Twitter and 2015...
ADDED TO THE DATABASE
- Infrastructure tool to help data vendors efficiently deliver data to clients: DataBolt
- Sentiment data on social media in any language, dating back to 2006 for Twitter and 2015 for other platforms: DigitalMR
- Job data by company, location, skills, title, salary, and more. Specialized coverage in retail, healthcare, and pharmaceutical industries: Talismatic
- See public database of 424 data providers and tools/services.
- Quandl added data on US job listings by company. (Quandl)
- Big Byte Insights, a REIT-focused web data provider, added data on multifamily apartment REITs.
- Hivemind, an alternative data infrastructure provider, closed funding round with Barclays and Fidelity. Details were not disclosed. (businesswire)
- Vortexa, an energy data provider, closed $5mm Series A. (Business Insider)
REQUESTS FOR DATA
- Alibaba (BABA):
- Item listings on Tmall.com and/or Taobao.com
- Advertising Revenue - click volume and CPCs
- Dataset on number portability to track subscribers to major wireless networks.
- Building an Analytics Platform that Includes Alternative Data - Caserta (March 21 - Webinar)
- A Sneak Peek at the Big IPOs of 2019 - SimilarWeb (March 26 - Webinar)
See full calendar of upcoming events.
- Senior Data Analyst - Broad Peak (Singapore)
- Quantitative Analyst - Franklin Templeton (Scotland)
- Director, Analytics Platforms - Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (Toronto)
- Data Strategy Research Associate - Jefferies (New York)
See other openings for Investment Research, Data Analyst, Data Engineer, and Data Scientist.
NEWS & INSIGHTS
- Global head of active equities at Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Deborah Orida, discusses how the fund uses alternative data to inform long-term outlook. In one example, the fund compared real-estate companies using a public registry of realtors to understand employee flow between firms. (Leaderpost)
- Head of Point72 Market Intelligence, Matthew Granade, discusses the fund's strategy around data, public and private investing, and their thesis on model-driven companies. (Master's in Business, podcast)
- Investors look to satellite data on China as they're skeptical of official government figures. (Reuters, tip: Quandl)
- Former AIG quant uses web-scraped data from Change.org and sentiment analysis to evaluate a fund's purchase of Venezuelan debt. (towardsdatascience, long read)
- WSJ attributes volatility in retail stocks to short-term traders being emboldened by new data sources. (WSJ, login required)
- "The Book of Alternative Data" is to be published in 2020 by Wiley. (Twitter)