The Download 49: 3 New Datasets, 5 Jobs, Request for IMEI Number Data
ADDED TO THE DATABASE Public data on oil and gas waste by type, volume, and disposal methods. Can be used to understand company practices and potential environmental liabilities: Waste Analytics Public,...
ADDED TO THE DATABASE
- Public data on oil and gas waste by type, volume, and disposal methods. Can be used to understand company practices and potential environmental liabilities: Waste Analytics
- Public, web, and various other datasets focused on estimating company expenses in the transportation and trucking sector: Datastoxx
- Public and web data focused on ESG factors including employee engagement, CEO perception, workplace quality, and more: Spring Pond Partners
- Amenity Analytics, a data provider that analyzes text from financial documents (e.g. corporate filings, earnings transcripts, etc.), raised an $18mm Series B round. (Bloomberg)
REQUESTS FOR DATA
- Data on IMEI numbers for tracking mobile phone production.
- Neudata Conference (May 7 - New York)
- Trading Show Chicago - Terrapinn (May 8 - Chicago)
- Access & Alpha Conference - Eagle Alpha (May 15 - New York)
- Battle of the Quants - Big Data (May 21-22 - New York)
- Big Data is the New Currency - Ravenpack (May 23 - London)
See full calendar of upcoming events.
- VP of Marketing - YipitData (New York)
- Product Manager - Data Experience - YipitData (New York)
- Data Scientist - $2.5bn Equity Hedge Fund (Bay Area)
- Investment Data Analyst - Balyasny Asset Management (London)
- Data Engineer - Balyasny Asset Management (Austin)
See other openings for Investment Research, Data Analyst, Data Engineer, and Data Scientist.
NEWS & INSIGHTS
- CNBC covers alternative data in two articles, discussing:
- Where data is sourced from a typical consumer path. (CNBC)
- A general outlook on the alternative data industry, including a great new idea for a commodities dataset: "Some practitioners argue that investors have always used 'alternative' data for prediction — Babylonians would supposedly use the water level of the Euphrates River to forecast what crops would do well in a given year." (CNBC)
- The Atlantic profiles satellite data provider RS Metrics and broadly discusses alternative data accessibility across the investor spectrum. (The Atlantic)
- With data science talent in high demand, financial firms are sourcing new data hires from non-tech fields and training them on the job. (WSJ, subscription required)
- New report from market consultancy Opimas suggests that trading exchanges may increasingly embrace alternative data while looking for new sources of revenue. (BI Prime, subscription required)
- Financial Times discusses how data is beginning to be used in the private markets, with several quant funds launching private equity arms. (Financial Times, subscription required)